Closed: Giveaway! Bike to Work Day and everyday with Ivalieu Pettipants
For years, every warm-weather morning before I hopped on my bike for my 7 mile ride into work, I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out if I could wear a skirt or dress that day without flashing anyone or chafing my inner thighs against the seat. Inevitably, I would conclude it was too much hassle and I’d resignedly pull on a pair of pants instead.
Sport silhouette in "Rose City Impressions"
Then one day in 2014, I was reading a blog post about what to pack when traveling and the female author said she takes several skirts and a pair of cotton bike shorts to wear underneath to deal with the ol' sticky thighs issue. What? I had had enough. We can put a rover on the planet Mars but the only options for women who are active but also want to wear a skirt or dress is to wear sweaty bike shorts or tight, compression undergarments? And don't get me started on those unattractive “nude tone” nylon slip-shorts made with a thin elastic waistband and pleats. Ack! I decided there must be a better way.
And so it began. I searched high and low for technical fabrics and created countless prototypes. Eventually, I had the undergarment of my dreams and Ivalieu ("eye-vah-loo") pettipants was launched. Named after a relative of mine from the turn of the last century – Evelyn Ivalieu Nisewarner, these bloomers blend the old-fashioned sensibilities from her era with thoughtful design details that satisfy our modern needs.
Sport silhouette in "I Like Bike" in ink gray
And Ivalieu are chock-full of thoughtful design details. Each one is made with:
- a wide yoke of a waistband that smooths but doesn't try to squeeze you like you're a sausage. It's a waistband that respects you.
- performance fabrics that stretch, wick, dry quickly, and will still behave like a slip (no clothes clinging, thank you very much). Not only are the materials we offer durable and comfortable, you can go from work to workout without a wardrobe change.
- an inner panel that runs side-to-side so that there’s no seam running up in your business.
- original art; prints and patterns are unique designs created by lady artists in the Pacific Northwest.
Savvy silhouette in "Spring Has Sprung" print.
Moreover, Ivalieu are:
- made in sizes ranging from XS through 3X.
- cut and sewn by hand at a local, woman-owned company in Portland, Oregon, supporting re-shoring and living wage, manufacturing jobs in the USA (aw yeah!).
- available in three different fit silhouettes and a skort to suit different lifestyles and body shapes.
Savvy silhouette in "Rose City Impressions" (l) and Rococo silhouette in Silver Gray (r)
Sport silhouette in charcoal gray with green lace hem
(above) Sport-skirt with origami dragons on Sport pettipant and bold yellow polygons on skirt overlay.
(left) Savvy silhouette in "Spring Has Sprung."
(below) Sport silhouette in "I Like Bike" in blue. New colors coming in June!
Ivalieu freed me from the morning ritual of fretting about what to wear for getting around town and I could finally make the most of the dresses and skirts already in my closet! Yeah! And I know I’m not alone. You have plenty of other things to think and care about. Your wardrobe should bring you satisfaction, not discomfort. And this is why I am pleased as punch to collaborate with Bike Pretty to offer a pair of Ivalieu in “I Like Bike” print* and help make it easier for folks to stylishly bike to and fro the office, and anytime in-between.
The Giveaway is now Closed.
Here’s to biking more and feeling as good as you look (which is fantastic, lady)!
Creator and Owner, Ivalieu Pettipants
* The prize is one pair of Ivalieu Sport silhouette in "I Like Bike" print, in the size and color of the winner's choice, subject to availability. Note that the delivery time is dependent upon the preferred size and color.